Master of Horror Stephen King holds the world record for the number of movies adapted from the author’s extensive cannon. King’s first novel was also the first to get the feature film treatment; Carrie was published in 1974 and the film directed by Brian De Palma was released in 1976—and the world of horror has never been the same!
It’s hard to believe De Palma’s groundbreaking masterpiece was released theatrically 40 years ago today. The film garnered instant notoriety, not just for its intense and terrifying subject matter, but for the production itself; De Palma’s use of split screens and suspense was incredible, making him one of the most lauded director of thrillers since Alfred Hitchcock. And the final jump scare may just be the most shocking in the history of horror cinema.
Of course, the film’s success has just as much to do with the compelling performances of Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie as Carrie and her mother Margaret White respectively. To this day, they remain the ultimate dysfunctional family; Piper’s role was immortalized when one of her most infamous lines, “They’re all going to laugh at you!” entered popular culture as a humorous catchphrase. The film was further bolstered by an incredible supporting cast that included: William Katt, John Travolta, and P.J. Soles.
As if proof is needed regarding the film’s influence, Carrie spawned 2 remakes: The Rage: Carrie 2 in 1999, and 2013’s remake featuring Chloë Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore as Carrie and Margaret respectively. Earlier this year (in advance of today’s 40th Anniversary), Scream Factory, the horror distribution arm of Shout! Factor, released a beautiful remaster of the original Carrie on Blu-ray; check out the incredible bonus material below, and pick up a copy for yourself, HERE.
- NEW 4K Scan Of The Original Negative
- Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
- CarrieFranchise Trailer Gallery
- NEWMore Acting Carrie – featuring interviews with Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, William Katt, Piper Laurie, Edie McClurg and P.J. Soles (20 minutes)
- NEW Writing Carrie– an interview with screenwriter Lawrence Cohen (29 minutes)
- NEWCutting Carrie – an interview with editor Paul Hirsch (25 minutes)
- NEWShooting Carrie – an interview with director of photography Mario Tosi (15 minutes)
- NEW Casting Carrie –an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg (16 minutes)
- NEW Bucket of Blood– a new interview with composer Pino Donaggio (24 minutes)
- NEW Horror’s Hallowed Grounds – Revisiting The Film’s Original Locations (11 minutes)
- Acting Carrie – Interviews With Actors Sissy Spacek, Amy Irving, Betty Buckley, Nancy Allen, William Katt, Piper Laurie, Priscilla Pointer and P.J. Soles And Art Director Jack Fisk And Director Brian De Palma (43 minutes)
- Visualizing Carrie – Interviews With Brian De Palma, Jack Fisk, Lawrence D. Cohen, Paul Hirsch (41 minutes)
- A Look At “Carrie: The Musical” (6 minutes)
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery – Rare Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards
- Stephen King And The Evolution Of Carrie Text Gallery
Official Synopsis: In this chilling adaptation of Stephen King’s horror novel, withdrawn and sensitive teen Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) faces taunting from classmates at school and abuse from her fanatically pious mother (Piper Laurie) at home. When strange occurrences start happening around Carrie, she begins to suspect that she has supernatural powers. Invited to the prom by the empathetic Tommy Ross (William Katt), Carrie tries to let her guard down, but things eventually take a dark and violent turn.