Fans of brilliant, cutting-edge horror television are still morning the loss of Hannibal, which ran for 3 seasons on NBC between 2013 and 2015. Showrunner Bryan Fuller elevated the genre to the level of poetry through breathtaking visual storytelling and crackling storylines. Despite lasting only 3 seasons, it’s still hailed by both fans and critics as nothing short of high-art.
The show was bolstered by a knockout cast that included Hugh Darcy, Gillian Anderson, Laurence Fishburne, and Katherine Isabelle. Of course, it was Mads Mikkelsen’s portrayal of the titular Hannibal Lecter, that made the series extraordinary. The folks at WhatCulture have just released a video exploration of the actor’s extraordinary efforts: 8 Nuances That Made Mads Mikkelsen’s Hannibal So Great!
Related Article: 9 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know About “The Silence of the Lambs”
Give it a spin and let us know what you think in the Comments section! If you can’t stream, the 8 nuances that made Mikkelsen’s Hannibal so awesome are briefly summarized below the video. Enjoy!
Official Synopsis: What makes one of the greatest on-screen monsters of all time tick?
1. He’s a peerless, pitiless killer who operates in a league of his own without a shred of remorse.
2. Mikkelsen convincingly portrays a sadistic, genius psychopath without actually being one himself (at least we hope he’s not an actual psycho!).
3. He reinterpreted Hannibal’s obsession with cannibalism. As opposed to seeing the propensity as a manifestation of past trauma (as was revealed in Hannibal Rising) Mikkelsen’s Hannibal sees the consuming of flesh as an act of love.
4. As opposed to other iterations of Hannibal, Mikkelsen was able to convey a wide spectrum of emotions without expository dialog; he’s a man of few words.
5. As opposed to playing him as a manifestation of evil, Mikkelsen plays Hannibal like a fallen angel.
6. Mikkelsen’s Hannibal is almost like a romantic hero; he elevates death to the level of poetry.
7. The central relationship between Mikkelsen’s Hannibal and Hugh Dancy’s Will Graham is genuine. The 2 actors have been friends in real-life for years.
8. Mikkelsen has turned Hannibal into a love story.
Official Synopsis: Gifted criminal profiler Will Graham has a unique way of thinking that allows him to empathize with anyone, including psychopaths. But while helping the FBI pursue a particularly complicated serial killer, he decides he could use some help and enlists the brilliant psychiatrist Hannibal Lecter. The two form a partnership and it seems that there is no villain they can’t catch together, but Lecter harbors a dark secret. His own brilliant mind has gone to the dark side and he has more in common with the criminals they hunt than Will could possibly imagine.