An amazing ending can elevate a mediocre film, just as a flat ending can tank an otherwise fantastic movie. With horror movies especially, the conclusion can be the most important component of the entire film. It might surprise you to know, however, that some of the most celebrated endings in horror movie history almost turned out much differently.
In the video list below from our friends at WhatCulture, 10 Alternate Endings That Almost Ruined Classic Horror Movies, they explain how Alien, The Shining, The Thing, and others almost had very different conclusions—endings that likely would have lessened their impact significantly. Have a watch and let us know what you think in the Comments section!
If you can’t stream, the 10 alternate endings that almost ruined classic horror movies are listed and briefly summarized below the video. Enjoy!
Warning Below There Be Spoilers!
Official Synopsis: A lesson in how not to end your horror film.
1. In an alternate ending to The Blair Witch Project, Mike was crucified on one of the witch’s effigies.
2. An alternate ending to A Nightmare on Elm Street had a happy ending, basically insinuating it was all just a dream.
3. In the US, the conclusion of The Descent was truncated to end after Sarah sees an apparition of Juno. In the international version, Sarah never escapes the cave and hallucinates her dead daughter as the troglodytes close in.
4. In an alternate version of Frank Oz’s Little Shop of Horrors, the Audrey 2 multiples into an army of killer plants that take over the world.
5. An alternate ending to David Cronenberg’s The Fly included an epilogue explaining that Veronica aborted her unborn child, got back together with Stathis, and had gotten pregnant again.
6. In an alternate ending to The Shining, Danny and Wendy are recovering in a hospital; the manager of The Overlook, Ullman, explains they have yet to recover Jack’s body.
7. In an alternate ending of George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead, Peter and Fran both commit suicide as the horde of zombies closes in; Peter shoots himself and Fran throws herself into rotating helicopter blades.
8. In an alternate ending to John Carpenter’s The Thing, MacReady was rescued and a blood test confirms he’s still human.
9. In an alternate ending of Alien, the Xenomorph speaks and Ripley is killed.
10. In an alternate ending of Get Out, Chris is accused of murdering Allison’s family.
Related Article: See It Now: Alternate Ending to “Get Out” Will Gut You Emotionally