Bernard Rose is best loved by horror fans for his turn directing Candyman, based on a short story by Clive Barker. Rose cut his teeth on music videos during MTV’s heyday, helming classics like Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Red Red Wine by UB40. Besides Candyman, his filmography includes Immortal Beloved, Ivansxtc, Anna Karenina, and Two Jacks; he’s currently in post-production on Paganini: The Devil’s Violinist.
Back in the early 1980s, however, Rose was a PA on the set of The Dark Crystal. He recently did a video for Trailers from Hell where he discussed the experience working on what he deems Jim Henson’s “Masterpiece”.
Related Article: “Dark Crystal” Fans: Garthim ReAction Figure Coming Soon from Funko
“He’d done The Muppet Show, which was a huge hit, he’d done The Muppet Movie, which was a huge hit, he promised them another Muppet movie, I think The [Great] Muppet Caper, and then he was like, ‘If I do all this work, you’ll let me make Dark Crystal for as much money as I want to spend.’ And he did. And he really went to extremes.”
Other interesting bits of trivia revealed in the 4-minute retrospective include:
- This was Roses first time working on a Feature Film;
- Everything was hand crafted, from the most intricate components of the puppets to the amazing sets;
- The studio originally considered The Dark Crystal a “non-commercial project”;
- The studio wanted to cast real children in the roles of Jen and Kira, the Gelflings, but Henson insisted that no humans appear in the film; and
- The film was originally produced with the different species speaking unique languages but was dubbed into English before the film was ever released.
Rose believes that The Dark Crystal is a one-of-a-kind film and, with the prominence of CGI in today’s filmmaking, he feels this success can never be duplicated. Have a look at the entire video below, followed by the original trailer, synopsis, and poster for The Dark Crystal.
Related Article: Experience “The Power of the Dark Crystal” in 2017!
Official Synopsis: The last of the Gelfings, Jen and Kira join forces and embark on a dangerous journey to “heal” a precious Dark Crystal and restore order to their planet.