Themes/titles for past seasons of American Horror Story have been announced in May, so we could potentially learn the official name for Season 7 in the next few weeks. While the next chapter in Ryan Murphy’s megahit anthology series will be intrinsically bound to the recent presidential election, an official announcement will no doubt clarify exactly where the show will be taking us. Here’s a summation of everything we know so far.
- While the title and theme have not been officially revealed, showrunner Ryan Murphy confirmed in an interview last February that Season 7 was significantly inspired by the recent US presidential election. The first episode will take place in the immediate aftermath of election night.
- Confirmed AHS Alum who will be returning for Season 7 includes Sarah Paulson, Denis O’Hare, Kathy Bates, Evan Peters, and Cheyenne Jackson. Newcomers announced so far are Billy Eichner and Billie Lourd.
- There’s no denying that the presidential election will be an important aspect of AHS Season 7, many fans are convinced that the next chapter will also include a shipwreck. This theory is based on clues from Season 6 (Roanoke), along with a promo clip for Season 7 (below) that features choppy waves and the ominous missive: “Sweet Dreams”.
- Season 7 will involve characters we haven’t seen since Season 4, Freak Show. Fans are hoping for Jessica Lange’s return, but that doesn’t seem likely. Since Season 4 took place 60 years in the past, characters who might still be alive in 2016 include: Bette and Dot Tattler (Sarah Paulson), Jimmy Darling (Evan Peters), and Pepper (Naomi Grossman); we could also meet the ageless Edward Mordrake (Wes Bentley) or anyone who became part of his ghostly crew.
- There’s no set air date for Season 7 yet, but fans and insiders alike are hoping for a late September or early October premier. Of course, the impending writer’s strike could throw everything into turmoil.
That’s pretty much it at this point, but we’ll bring you additional AHS Season 7 news as details emerge; stay tuned!